A quick meal that is so amazingly light and delicious. Perfect for a simple weeknight yet elegant enough for guests!
The coconut milk makes it creamy but very light. I prefer this with jasmine rice and some crusty bread to soak up any remaining broth. So good!
You’re going to want to plan on making two batches of this… one to try out the recipe and the other to show it off!
- 2 lbs raw jumbo shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 5 green onions, diced
- separated between white & green
- reserve half of the green for garnish
- 1/2 bunch fresh cilantro, diced (1/2 cup)
- Reserve a couple of tbsp for garnish
- 5 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 1/8-1/2 tsp crushed red pepper (to taste)
- kosher or sea salt to taste
- 14-1/2 oz can petite diced tomatoes
- 14 oz can coconut milk
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced into thin strips (Julienne)
- 1/2 lime, fresh squeezed or 2 tbsp of lime juice
- 3 cups steamed rice
- Put on rice to cook
- In a medium-sized saucepan, heat oil and add garlic, all of the red pepper and the white onions and only half of the green onion and cilantro. Saute for about 1 minute.
- Add tomatoes, coconut milk, and salt. Simmer for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add shrimp and red peppers; continue to cook 5 minutes.
- Add lime juice and remove from heat.
- Put rice in bowls, ladle shrimp and broth over half of the rice and off to the side; garnish with remaining green onions and cilantro.
Makes 6-8 servings