Delicious and beautiful! These stuffed squash are easy to make and gorgeous to serve! Enjoy!
|Prep time: 10 mins Cook time: 30 mins Servings: 4|
– 3 slices of bacon or 1/2 cup ground sausage
– 1/2 cup white onion, finely chopped
– 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
– 1/2 cup celery, finely chopped
– 1/2 cup green bell pepper, finely chopped
– 1/2 cup mushrooms, finely chopped
– 1 cup fresh spinach, chopped
– Sea salt (to taste)
– Ground black pepper (to taste)
1. Fill the large saucepan with a inch or two of water and place on the stove over medium high heat. Wait for the water to begin boiling and then add the sunburst squash to a steamer basket and lower it into the saucepan. Cover and allow to steam for about 7-10 minutes or just until tender.
2. Carefully remove the squash from the steamer basket and place the squash on a cutting board. Allow to cool slightly while you prepare the filling.
3. Preheat the oven to 375F. Place a large skillet over medium-high heat and cook your bacon or sausage in the pan. Remove the meat and set aside, but allow the excess fat to stay in the pan.
4. Add the white onion, garlic, celery and bell pepper to the pan and saute for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the mushroom and spinach and cook for another 1-2 minutes or until the spinach is wilted. Take the mixture off the heat, add the bacon or sausage back into the mixture and stir to combine. Season with sea salt and ground black pepper to taste and set aside.
5. Slice the top 1/3 off of the squash and set the tops aside. Using a small spoon, scoop out some of the inside of the squash so that you have a “bowl” in which to place your filling. Be careful not to cut into the sides or bottom of the squash. Sprinkle the squash lightly with sea salt and ground black pepper. Note: You can add the squash filling to your vegetable mixture, but I saved mine for use in another recipe.
6. Scoop a large spoonful of the vegetable mixture into the center of each of the squash. Place the stuffed squash on a baking dish lined with aluminum foil and place in the oven (you do not need to bake the tops of the squash).
7. Allow to bake for 15 minutes. Remove and serve with the tops as decoration (optional).